30.6.03

Crowded shows

So, this week-end, I went out to the Kennedy Center to see Nickel Creek play as part of the Verizon Concert Series. I don't think that the Millenium Stage was a good venue for this concert. If you've ever been to the Millenium Stage then you know it's really nothing more than a stage at the end of a long hallway (actually the hallway spans the length of the building). It works for small performances, but Nickel Creek was big enough to draw a few thousand people. They cramed the back hallway full, then set up screens and speakers in the intersecting hallways and started to cram people in there. It was dissapointing. I heard that the acousitics in the back hallway were bad, which makes sense because it's a long marble hallway and then the screen and speakers that they set up in the intersecting hallways would cut out every other song. It was good to finally be able to see and hear the band play live, but it was a show that was not worthy of the Kennedy Center. I know that the Millenium Stage is like a poor relation of the Kennedy Center, but last night, it was like the bastard red-headed stepchild.

Other good things about the week-end. I got to see Season and Calvin and Marcus and came this close to seeing DE & Brenton. Thank god I was spared that. I'll put pictures up at the other blog.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home