17.6.03

Days can be Sunny...

With never a sigh, don't need what money can buy.

We've had some funny weather in DC for the past week. There was this period where the weather was like Florida's, very hot and sunny during the day, but then by mid-afternoon/evening, boom, thunderstorm. From this constant rain, the ground is very wet and muddy, and I know this from personal experience, I made the ground's acquaintance several times last night during the game. Today, again, rain. Tommorrow....rain. Thursday, you guessed it, rain. When will it ever end? Am I alone in yearing for the hot, sunny, humid weather that normally accompanies a DC summer?

This week-end is going to be Takoma Park apartment hunting week-end. My hopefully-soon-to-be-again roommate and I will make the rounds on Maple Ave and other places close to the Metro to see what we can come up with. There are a couple of buildings that I already have my eye on, I think both of us will be happy with the location, I want to be close to DC, no more than a 15-20 minute drive to Georgetown and he wants to be close to the beltway. Takoma Park/Silver Spring (and not that icky north of the beltway Silver Spring) should do nicely.

Being a good friend....

....sometimes makes me sad. I'm going to go a little off the whole dc/housing hunt posts here. Seeing someone at the Fairmont Hotel this week-end made me think. How have I failed some people, how could I have helped, could I have helped at all? Sometimes you've a friend and that friend is doing something that is clearly harming him/herself, but that friend likes it and won't hear of the contrary, do you stick by him/her and just watch? Do you tell him/her that you don't want to see him/her like this and walk away? Do you intervene and then loose the friend? It's happened before, I intervened, and lost the friend, a couple of times actually (and no, I don't have that many self-destructive friends), and I am in kinda the same situation again. It's not as dramatic as the times before, but I see someone clearly not acting in his/her best interest, clearly setting him/herself up for a huge fall and I question if there is anything that I can do. Rarely am I surprised by the actions of another person, people are very predictable, if I act, I'll loose this friend too. I know it, call it age, experience, intuition (all of which my friend is lacking), but I know it. I think sometimes I want people to be more than they are, to have conviction in something, mostly themselves, in what they think is right, it always dissapoints me people don't have that strength of conviction. By no means to I know what is best for everyone, there are times, and we've all been in them, when you are thinking more clearly than the next guy.....what do you do when the next guy is your friend and is/will hurt/ing himself?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home