18.6.03

Ikea

So, today the new Ikea in College Park opened. I was in College Park this morning to go the horrible, horrible Darcars Mazda. I'm driving along, listening to the Elliot in the Morning Show and who should call in but one of my roommates! Yea, he worked at Ikea on construction and even though he "hates" Ikea, he hated it enough to go there on the opening morning, which was also his day off. Well, he called in to give Elliot an update on the Barbara Eden sighting. I have to see if my roommate was one of the lucky ones to get a free chair, they gave out the poang chair. I was interested in it, but then again, we already have one in the house and I basically have two at home (my mother used to like Scandinavian furniture), so if I really wanted one, I guess I could just go home and get it. They look a little weird to me, not very inviting to sit in, but I guess you can rock back and forth in it. I heard from a co-worker who was out there this morning to get a chair, that they handed them out at midnight. That's a jip. Traffic will now on be horrendous at Rt 1 and the beltway, if you can avoid it, do so.

I also went to the National Building Museum for a meeting in my old stomping grounds, Judiciary Square. I parked where I normally do, but there is a new phenomenon in that part of DC, there's a ton of construction for apartments. I probably walked by five construction sites. Why does this merit mentioning? Becuase at each one I was cat-called, and I'm not talking your run of the mill whistle and 'hey, baby" that you get pretty much everywhere walking/metro-ing in DC, this was a little disconcerting. Men would walk beside me trying to whisper things to me or they would whistle the whole time I was in veiw of the construction site. Made me feel very much like prey or a side of beef that they wanted. Not a good feeling in that part of town. So, if you're a girl alone and you don't like guys to oogle you, don't go there or if you have to go to that area, take a friend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home