24.9.03

I was going to do a post for every day that I was gone, but then things just got crazy, instead I'm going to post about each city that I visited.

Montreal
I wish that I could figure out how to do accents in this, but oh well, this will do and you know what I am talking about.

I have found a new store and I love it. I can't wait for this incarnation of Club Monaco to come to the states. It's kinda like the idea of Ikea, but with much smaller more centrally located stores. It's called Caban and it has almost everything that you could want to furnish and decorate a house with great style, but not all that expensive. I love it!

Une nuit, je suis allé à une caban de sucre. Elle s'appelle Sucrerie de la Montagne. Elle était dans la forêt près de Montréal. Elle était très belle là et beaucoup d'amusement. Bien que je fasse l'amusement d'Alanna pour le sirop de érable dans la neige, elle était agréable.

McDonalds Canada has a very odd marketing strategy and it makes me wonder what has been said about their burgers north of the border. The marketing line is, "Fait do boeuf pur a 100%" or made with 100% beef. Hmmmmm....I know that many a time I've even made fun of the quality of the beef at McDonalds, but never have I thought that a marketing campaign would be needed to tell me that a hamburger is made with beef. What did they used to add? Chicken?

I remember in my younger days going to Montreal and spending quite a bit of time in the clubs/bars. But it was different then, the clubs/bars that we went to was either bought out for us or the night planned for us, so that I spent most of the time surrounded by a bunch of americans. This time the group of club go-ers was much smaller and we were able to mingle and notice the French-Canadian ambience a lot more. The club that my group frequented on this trip came complete with a revolving floor and skeevy Eastern European women who were wearing clothes that should not have even been made. I use the term wearing very loosely. Later that night I was literally assalted by some French-Canadian guy who thought I couldn't understand a word of French and therefore it was ok to force me to kiss him and put my hand up my shirt. Woo. I think I should stick to the American crowds at bars/clubs, at least they only grab my ass.

I watched the oddest thing in Canada. There used to be this TV show, Due South, it was about a Canadian mountie who went down to Chicago to avenge the murder of his father and stayed south of the border. The fact that they showed this in Canada is funny enough, but then to dub it into French-Canadian made it all the more surreal. All the shows from America are dubbed her to quebecois, I thought they didn't like the Americans. There was also a tourism show for Washington, DC, but in French. The best was Ikea comercials in french. Woo.

Cincinnati
There really wasn't much to do in Cincy as they call it out here. I will mention two things. First is the Contemporary Arts Center. Within this very modern museum as an unmuseum for kids, a room with opposing high power fans, so that winds could reach 75 mph; a serenity/traquility room complete with a songbird, meditation rocks and a whirlpool that visitors are invited to use; an exhibit that on certain days was transported into a working restaurant; and a room with only disco balls, very cool. This museum is all about the experience of modern art, I am normally not a fan of modern art, but I loved this museum. It made me think, it engaged me and I think that unlike a lot of modern art today, it could engage anyone. The one thing is that with all that experiential modern art came a lot of nudity pieces, recordings of pieces of people nude in certain places and such. Wasn't all that engaged by that. Still, if you're ever the Cincy way, I would recommend it.
Did you know that Cincy is also known as Porkopolis, I had no idea. Till I got there and there were flying pigs everywhere. Very odd.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home