8.9.03

Summer's over

Well, I'm very sorry to say that summer is over, but at least another kite season is here. The Smithsonian has kite making days. Or if that's not your speed, then I suggest Third Thursdays or First Fridays or Second Tuesdays. If you haven't been before, different neighborhood art galleries get together and have night-time open houses. They are great, some cheese and crakers and wine and art. There is one a Georgetown, Dupont and Chinatown, so there's got to one near you.

Along with the end of summer, comes the start of the school year. This was a very odd summer for me. In some ways I wanted this summer to be much like the summer I spent with good friends at The Washington Center. Not that much responsibility and a constant social whirl. I almost got what I wanted, except for that responsibility thing. Lord knows I had/have a lot to do. But I was still able to keep up with the social calendar, much to the detriment of my planning to move, my move and moving into the new place. Though, I was able to enjoy Washington, DC in the height of the intern season, when everyone goes out and is actually willing to talk to new people. But now school has started, along with traffic being sometime horrendous in my neighborhood, is all the school students. I see them all around, even in the city. It's funny, there are the freshman, sometimes with their parents, excited to "start a new chapter" in their lives. Then there's the sophomores who are so very happy to be back from a summer at home and just might be with their 'rents. There are also the juniors who think that they are jaded and have done it all. Finally there are the seniors who think they own the school and are all excited for what might be their final year. For me and my friends, well, all these kids are just funny. Really, in the end, who are they trying to kid? I guess themselves and those who are immediately around them. In a way it's cute, in more ways is very annoying. Well, at least I get to end the summer and start another semester of TA-ing with a TWC end. Yay for my good friends from TWC. Even better, my love from TWC has moved to town. I have the joy of her in town for at least the next year. I was reading something, this girl said she felt old because it had been six years from her freshman year in high school. Hmmm, I've already been to my fifth year high school reunion, how old should I feel?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home