3.7.03

American Capitalism

So, tomorrow is July 4th, what a better time to talk about good ole American Capitalism at work here in the nation's capital. There is an annual tradition right about this time every year in the district. It is a bicycle parade? No. Is it BBQs? No. Is it finding new and exciting ways to hide alcohol on the Mall? No. Although all those things happen, I"m talking about the fireworks stands that spring up overnight roadside in many, many locations around DC. Also, large banners appear outside stores hawking fireworks. How is this American Capitalism at work? Well, fireworks are pretty much illegal in DC. You can have those snaps and sparklers and coloured lights, but beyond it, "Firecrackers of any kind or description" are prohibited. But in the great American way, there's a demand for illegal fireworks, there will be a supply so someone can make some ill-gotten money. Today I was out buying some lunch and I passed by a banner that promoted Freedom Fireworks. So, as I was buying my freedom fries and eating my freedom toast during the war, post-war, I can now buy illegal freedom fireworks to celebrate. God Bless America.

Enjoy the 4th and extended week-end!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home