28.7.03

The tax debate (con't) & doing my part

Today the Washington Post is hosting a live online discussion about the commuter tax debate. The person answering questions is the attorney for the petioners, so the responses will be a little slanted, but either way, some things he says are just true. Like, 41 states have a commuter tax and all 50 states are allowed to levy them. Why shouldn't the District have the same right? Here is are a couple of big questions answered:

Gambrills, Maryland: I think it's ridiculous to impose a commuter tax on suburban commuters. First of all, if we didn't work here in D.C. then D.C. wouldn't get all the revenue it already gets from food sales, etc. I can't tell you how much money my co-workers and me spend down here during the work week, but it's a substantial amount. Isn't it enough that we spend these large amounts down here while working? Now you want to penalize us for working down here. I personally think it will make many people think twice about their already-expensive and LONG commute into D.C.

Walter Smith: It is true that nonresidents contribute some amount of revenue to the District government through sales taxes they pay when they buy goods or services in the District. But that is also true of residents and tourists. And it is also true for nonresidents who are asked to pay nonresident taxes in the 41 states in the country that have a nonresident income tax. The truth is that the sales taxes that nonresidents pay to the District is not nearly enough to cover the cost to the District of the services the District government provides to those nonresidents.

Mt. Vernon, VA: What extraordinary "services" am I receiving from the DC government that aren't already being paid for by the taxes my company pays?

Walter Smith: The primary services that nonresidents receive from the District government concern transportation, public safety and security, and utilities. These three items constitute three of the largest budget amounts in the D.C. budget. And the amount the District expends in these areas are not covered by any amount of corporate income tax or property tax your employer may be paying to the District. Please remember also that any amount of nonresident income tax you would pay to the District would be credited against the amount of the income tax you pay in your home state. Please remember also that if the District could impose a nonresident income tax, the new revenues it would receive would benefit nonresidents in that the District would have more money to build better roads and bridges, afford better fire and police protection, have more efficient snowplows, etc.

It's a good discussion, check it out.

On to me: I have 12 bug bites on my body and it sucks. Bugs suck. Environmental structure, food chains, blah, blah, blah, we need to find a way to eradicate all the bugs in the world, or at least the bitey ones.

My glamourous life continues with a trip to a Washington Freedom game, thanks to MH from Williamsburg. I did my duty in many ways, I supported sports in DC, especially ones that are actually played in DC (damn you Redskins) and I supported women's pro football, oh, I also supported football in the US, and look, how good am I to actually call it football? This post is long enough, I'll post more about the free game and food and beer tommorrow.

Turks are hot.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home